What is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas that you cannot see, smell or taste.
Radon occurs naturally in the ground and can be a serious health risk when it accumulates in enclosed spaces, such as homes and workplaces.
Exposure to radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada, second only to smoking.
Nearly all buildings have some level of radon. The only way to know if you are being exposed to potentially harmful levels is to test buildings where you spend most of your time.
How Risky Is Radon?
We are all exposed to radon throughout our lifetimes. However, long-term exposure to elevated levels of radon is known to cause lung cancer. An estimated 16% of fatal cases of lung cancer in Canada are induced by radon.
How Can Risk be Reduced?
If a radon test shows that there are unsafe levels of radon in a building, measures can be taken to reduce reduce these levels at a reasonable cost. A certified radon mitigation professional can help you find the best way to reduce the radon levels in your home or workplace.