TORONTO, ON – Pollution Probe is pleased to announce the appointment of Christopher Hilkene as Chief Executive Officer effective August 1, 2018. Hilkene has been serving as Pollution Probe’s interim CEO since December 1, 2017.
“In today’s rapidly changing and increasingly complex world, Pollution Probe must be both a credible voice in the solutions dialogue and a driving force mobilizing support for effective environmental policy,” says Fiona Jones, Chair of Pollution Probe’s Board of Directors. “That is why the Board is excited to bring Christopher into the role of CEO. Through his long association with Pollution Probe, we know that he brings a proven ability, as well as the energy and passion, to drive positive change.”
Christopher Hilkene is an environment and sustainable development professional with over 25 years of experience in public policy and communications in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. He has been instrumental in advancing sustainable water management policy in Canada and has led creative advocacy efforts including the I Don’t Flush campaign which encouraged consumers to improve water use habits to protect Ontario’s lakes and rivers. Most recently, Hilkene served as president of the Clean Water Foundation where he held the position for 13 years.
“Pollution Probe had an incredible impact on me as a young environmentalist. The organization’s work on areas including the Great Lakes, mercury, fuel standards and green consumerism inspired me to pursue my career in the environmental field,” said Christopher Hilkene. “I am thrilled to be at the helm of Pollution Probe, advocating for clean air and clean water, as it ushers in its 50th anniversary.”
Pollution Probe looks forward to the leadership and experience that Chris will bring to the organization.
- Pollution Probe is a national environmental non-profit founded at the University of Toronto in 1969 and based in Toronto, Ontario.
- Christopher Hilkene served for 13 years as president of the Clean Water Foundation, a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to engaging individuals in actions that preserve, protect and improve our water.
- Christopher Hilkene is the Canadian Lead on Emerging Issues on the Great Lakes Water Quality Board of the International Joint Commission.
- As a member of the National Roundtable on Environment and the Economy, Hilkene served as chair of its Water Program.
- An active volunteer, Hilkene has served on boards and advisory bodies for organizations including Ryerson University, Pollution Probe, Carleton University’s Global Water Institute, the City of Toronto’s Bring Back the Don Task Force, Green Living Enterprises and the George and Helen Vari Foundation.
- During his time in public service, Hilkene served as a policy advisor to the federal Minister of the Environment, and as a communications advisor in the Ontario Ministry of the Environment.
About Pollution Probe