MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Pollution Probe is a national, not-for-profit organization that has worked for 50 years to promote clean air and clean water and improve the health and well-being of Canadians. We do this by advancing policy that achieves positive, tangible environmental change. Our approach is to: define environmental problems through research, promote understanding through education and to press for practical, evidence-based solutions.
We seek an experienced candidate and team player to serve as Marketing and Communications Officer in a 6-month contract position with intention to hire. In addition to having a strong technical background in communications, the ideal candidate will be an integral participant in forging the growth and development of Pollution Probe’s social media and digital content.
This position is ideal for a self-directed, entrepreneurial individual interested in making a difference. Our small team values everyone’s contribution and ideas. We provide excellent working conditions with flexible working hours and competitive compensation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement annual communication strategy for Pollution Probe including social/traditional media strategy
- Manage and create detailed communications and outreach plans for key activities such as report releases and ensure smooth delivery of all communications activities
- Employ outreach strategies on and offline and a variety of public relations and marketing tactics to engage existing stakeholders and attract new donors, volunteers and supporters to the organization
- Recommend and implement appropriate marketing and communication tactics in support of fundraising initiatives, donor stewardship and program activities
- In collaboration with subject-matter leads, create and update communications materials on areas including transportation, energy, great lakes, waste and chemicals
- Create annual report, news releases, e-newsletter and other digital and print content as needed
- Perform regular monitoring, analysis, evaluation and reporting on media relations activities
- Maintain and update the organization’s website using WordPress
- Creating and sending supporter emails via Mailchimp
- Liaising with external contractors/suppliers in relation to marketing and communications
- Operate within the philosophy, culture and core values of the organization
- Assist with projects and events as needed
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a communications role, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Post-secondary degree in communications (general or science-based), marketing, public relations, journalism, English or related field or equivalent work experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with ability to write for a variety of audiences
- Strong understanding of social media strategy and digital analytics
- Familiarity with WordPress and CRM systems
- Proven ability to work within a collaborative team environment
- Experience with public speaking and presenting to stakeholders from different sectors
- Able to work both independently and with a team
- Able to prioritize and work with tight deadlines
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
The following are assets for this position:
- Training and/or experience in fundraising
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop.
- Photography/videography and editing skills
- Experience working within the environmental sector
To Apply for Consideration:
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will remain open until the position is filled. No phone inquiries please. Email to the above address only.
We thank all applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.