Please feel free to skip any questions that are inapplicable.
1 out of 5
1. Please provide a brief overview of your work related to the GLWQA. How has this work informed your understanding of the historical and/or current Agreement?
Successes and Challenges
This set of questions seeks your insights on relevant historical and/or current successes and challenges related to the GLWQA and its implementation.
2. What are some of the most important successes and challenges from previous versions of the Agreement and how are they relevant to the GLWQA today?
2 out of 5
3. What do you think are key highlights/successes of, and challenges/issues with, the current 2012 Agreement and its implementation and why?
for suggestions on how to structure your response to this question
Governance and Engagement
This set of questions focuses on governance structures and processes under the Agreement, as well as the roles and engagement of various groups, partners, stakeholders, and the public.
4. What do you see as the role of the Parties in advancing the GLWQA agenda and implementation efforts? How could this role be strengthened?
b. Please elaborate on your answer to Question 4a. If applicable, what improvements are needed?
5. What do you see as the role of the IJC (and its substructures) in advancing the GLWQA agenda and implementation efforts? To what extent do you think the IJC has provided effective oversight and reporting to the public on the performance of the Parties in meeting the objectives of the Agreement? How could the roles of the IJC (and its substructures) be strengthened?
b. Please elaborate on your answer to Question 5a. If applicable, what improvements are needed?
6. Do the Parties and the IJC (and its substructures) communicate, coordinate and cooperate well together and with external partners? Are there cases of fragmentation, redundancy, or duplication of efforts between the Parties, the Commission or substructures that should be addressed? If applicable, how could internal and external communication and coordination be improved?
7. How can the roles and engagement of Rights Holders (e.g., Tribal governments, First Nations and Métis) and their governing bodies be strengthened as they relate to GLWQA decision-making and implementation processes?
3 out of 5
8. How can the roles and engagement of government and non-government partners be strengthened as they relate to GLWQA decision-making and implementation processes?
for additional information to help structure your response to this question
Impacts and Opportunities for Improvements
This set of questions seeks your thoughts on the direct impacts of the GLWQA, as well as potential opportunities to strengthen the Agreement and its implementation.
9. To what extent has the Agreement contributed directly to the improvement of the chemical, physical and biological integrity of the Great Lakes over the last 50 years (as opposed to other regulations, policies, activities and/or measures)? Please provide specific examples, where possible.
10. Do you have thoughts on potential opportunities to strengthen the Agreement and its implementation to better address the challenges facing the Great Lakes and improve the overall integrity of the ecosystem?
a. What changes, additions or improvements should be prioritized in the short-, medium- and long-term?
4 out of 5
b. How could new and emerging water quality issues be more effectively incorporated in the Agreement?
11. Do you know of any other work, studies, data or resources that would be helpful for this study?
5 out of 5
12. Are there any other individuals or organizations that you recommend we engage in the course of this study?