MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Pollution Probe is a national, not-for-profit organization that has worked for almost 50 years to promote clean air and clean water and improve the health and well-being of Canadians. We do this by advancing policy that achieves positive, tangible environmental change. Our approach is to: define environmental problems through research, promote understanding through education and to press for practical, evidence-based solutions.
We seek an experienced candidate and team player to serve as Marketing and Communications Officer in a 1 year contract position with possibility of extension. In addition to having a strong technical background in communications, the ideal candidate will be an integral participant in forging the growth and development of Pollution Probe’s social media and digital content.
This position is ideal for a self-directed, entrepreneurial individual interested in making a difference. Our small team values everyone’s contribution and ideas. We provide excellent working conditions with flexible working hours.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement annual communication strategy for Pollution Probe including social/traditional media strategy
- Employ outreach strategies on and offline and a variety of public relations and marketing tactics to engage existing stakeholders and attract new donors, volunteers and supporters to the organization
- Create annual report, news releases, e-newsletter and other digital and print content as needed
In collaboration with subject-matter leads, create and update communications materials on areas including water, transportation, energy and human health
- Perform regular monitoring, analysis, evaluation and reporting on media relations activities
- Recommend and implement appropriate marketing and communication tactics in support of fundraising initiatives, donor stewardship and program activities
- Maintain and update the organization’s website using WordPress
- Operate within the philosophy, culture and core values of the organization
- Assist with projects and events as needed
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a communications role, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Post-secondary degree in general or science communications, public relations, journalism, English or related field or equivalent work experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with ability to write for a variety of audiences
- Strong understanding of social media strategy and digital analytics
- Familiarity with WordPress and CRM systems
- Proven ability to work within a collaborative team environment
- Experience with public speaking and presenting to stakeholders from different sectors
- Able to work both independently and with a team
- Able to prioritize and work with tight deadlines
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- The following are assets for this position:
- Training and/or experience in fundraising
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Photography/videography and editing skills
- Experience working within the environmental sector
TO APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will remain open until the position is filled. No phone inquiries please. Email to the above address only.
We thank all applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
About Pollution Probe
Established in 1969, Pollution Probe is a national, non-profit organization that exists to improve the health and wellbeing of Canadians by advancing policy that achieves positive, tangible environmental change. Pollution Probe has a proven track record of working in partnership with industry and government to develop practical solutions to environmental challenges.